Bay Week Survival GuidePosted on
With 97 boats already entered, and entries still open until the end of Registration, this could be the biggest Bay of Islands Sailing Week ever!
The regatta kicks off next week, and with all the last-minute rush, it’s easy to forget the basics. So here’s a quick run-down of essential info to help you have the best Bay Week possible…
This year, the North Sails & Hall Spars Marquee will be located outside the Opua Cruising Club, at the bottom of Franklin Street in Opua. We’ll still have all the same great facilities including a well stocked bar, Mount Gay Rum bar, live music from JPG and awesome food served inside the Club.
Registration Day – Tuesday 23 Jan:
- REGISTRATION takes place at the North Sails & Hall Spars Marquee from 4pm-6pm. Collect your Sailing Instructions and division flag there.
- LATE ENTRIES will be accepted right up until the end of Registration, if you haven’t already entered.
- BAR TICKETS can be purchased at Registration too – stock up early and avoid the queues – tickets are $6 each and can be used to purchase both drinks and food.
Race Days – Wednesday 24 – Friday 26 Jan:
- BREAKFAST & COFFEE can be purchased from the Marina Cafe from 7.30am, or Opua Store from 7am.
- WEATHER report by North Sails will be available each morning.
- RACING starts at 10.30am and finishes around 4pm.
- DRINKS served at the bar and Mount Gay Rum Bar in the North Sails & Hall Spars Marquee from 4pm.
- DINNER served in the Opua Cruising Club from 4pm
- ENTERTAINMENT from JPG The Band from 6pm
- WATER TAXI available morning & evening for free shore transport – call the ASB RIB on VHF ch77.
Thursday 25 Jan:
- SWINGING 60s SWEET 16 PARTY! Dig out your best 60s outfits and help us celebrate our 16th birthday in the North Sails & Hall Spars Marquee, with live 60s music from JPG, cake, presents and FREE SNACKS thanks to NZL Sailing Foundation.
Friday 26 Jan:
- PRIZEGIVING in the North Sails & Hall Spars Marquee from 7.30pm
Looking for a spot or need an extra pair of hands? Check out the Crew Wanted and Available lists. It would be great to get everyone who wants to sail out on the water.
For marina berths bookings, pier entry, shower and toilet access etc – please contact the Opua Marina office during their opening hours -daily from 8.15am to 5pm, on 09 402 7124 or email@example.com.
Parking in Opua
There will be some additional free parking available thanks to Opua School. We still advise car pooling where possible though! If parking at Opua School, please park in the playing field and NOT in the staff parking.
Packed Lunch Orders
You can still pre-order packed lunches from Opua Store if you’re quick – download the Lunch Order Form now.
North Sails – Sail Repairs
Don’t let a damaged sail ruin your regatta! North Sails will run a service loft at the regatta to repair sails from any manufacturer. Contact Roger Hall at North Sails BOI.
Join the fleet to Bon Accord Harbour and enjoy a brilliant boaties breakfast laid on by your hosts – bluewater cruising gurus Lin & Larry Pardey – at the Kawau Boating Club on Sunday morning. Register your interest here.