Bay of Islands Sailing Week Clean Regatta Policy
As an event that depends heavily on the health of the ocean and the beauty of our local area, Bay of Islands Sailing Week believe it’s of the utmost importance that we respect, preserve and help improve the natural environment around us.
Our aim is to have zero negative impact on our local environment, and ultimately to deliver positive benefits on land and at sea through our policies, partnerships and educational efforts.
We are all sailors – organisers and participants alike – who share a love and respect for the ocean. We want Bay of Islands Sailing Week to continue to provide opportunities for sailors to enjoy their sport, and benefits to our local community, long into the future. That’s why we are committed to running an environmentally responsible and sustainable regatta.
We hope you will help us run a clean regatta, even if you only make small changes, because:
“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”
Our clean regatta goals are:
- Less waste: Reducing our reliance on landfill is one of our primary goals. We’ll reject unnecessary waste, replace disposable options with eco-friendly alternatives, reuse items instead of creating new ones each year and recycle or compost much of what would otherwise end up in landfill.
- No discharge: None of us want to see rubbish floating in our oceans or washed up on our shores. Nor do we want to the health of our marine ecosystems to suffer the effects of waste discharge from vessels. We have a no discharge rule for all competitors to ensure we do not contribute to pollution in the Bay of Islands.
- Emissions reduction: We’re exploring ways we can reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, by minimising vehicular travel, and utilising more efficient and less polluting options where possible.
- Locally sourced: Not only will we minimise our carbon footprint, but we’ll also support our local community by prioritising local suppliers of the products and services we need.
- Education & engagement: The more people on board with our sustainability goals, the better. We aim to spread the word about our sustainability efforts, educate people about how they can help, and facilitate positive environmental change from everyone involved with the regatta, so we can all work together towards a sustainable future.
In 2020, CRC Bay of Islands Sailing Week was proud to be awarded GOLD Clean Regatta status. Read the full story here >>