As an event that depends heavily on the health of the ocean and the beauty of our local area, Bay of Islands Sailing Week believe it’s of the utmost importance that we respect, preserve and help improve the natural environment around us.
Our aim is to have zero negative impact on our local environment, and ultimately to deliver positive benefits on land and at sea through our policies, partnerships and educational efforts.
We are all sailors – organisers and participants alike – who share a love and respect for the ocean. We want Bay of Islands Sailing Week to continue to provide opportunities for sailors to enjoy their sport, and benefits to our local community, long into the future. That’s why we are committed to running an environmentally responsible and sustainable regatta.
We hope you will help us run a clean regatta, even if you only make small changes, because:
“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”
Our clean regatta goals are:
- Less waste: Reducing our reliance on landfill is one of our primary goals. We’ll reject unnecessary waste, replace disposable options with eco-friendly alternatives, reuse items instead of creating new ones each year and recycle or compost much of what would otherwise end up in landfill.
- No discharge: None of us want to see rubbish floating in our oceans or washed up on our shores. Nor do we want to the health of our marine ecosystems to suffer the effects of waste discharge from vessels. We have a no discharge rule for all competitors to ensure we do not contribute to pollution in the Bay of Islands.
- Emissions reduction: We’re exploring ways we can reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, by minimising vehicular travel, and utilising more efficient and less polluting options where possible.
- Locally sourced: Not only will we minimise our carbon footprint, but we’ll also support our local community by prioritising local suppliers of the products and services we need.
- Education & engagement: The more people on board with our sustainability goals, the better. We aim to spread the word about our sustainability efforts, educate people about how they can help, and facilitate positive environmental change from everyone involved with the regatta, so we can all work together towards a sustainable future.
How you can help when you come to BOISW
- Minimise on-board waste by taking reusable food containers and bottles with you.
Refill your water bottles for FREE at our water refilling stations at Regatta HQ in Opua.
- Separate recyclables, compostables and general waste. We will have recycling stations at Regatta HQ so please make sure your bottles, cans, plastics and food waste go into the appropriate bins! Local community group Russell Recyclers will be helping us with this.
Don’t discharge any waste into the ocean. Use the free pump out facilities at Opua fuel dock, retain all rubbish until you return to shore, and keep absorbent oil spill pads handy when refuelling.
Download the BOISW App to access the Sailing Instructions – we’ve gone digital to further reduce waste.
- Car pool to the Marina each day or walk/bike if you’re staying close enough. It’ll help alleviate the parking problems in Opua too. Check out Twin Coast Cycle Transport for bike and e-bike hire in Opua.
Clean Regattas certification by Sailors for the Sea
In 2021, Bay of Islands Sailing Week was proud to be awarded PLATINUM Clean Regatta status – the highest level of sustainability certification in the Sailors for the Sea programme. Read the full story here >>