Just one short week to go before CRC Bay of Islands Sailing Week kicks off for the 19th time! We’re looking forward to welcoming over 100 boats again this year – at last count we were up to 108 on the Entry List, and considering we’re in the midst of an ongoing global pandemic, that seems like a pretty good number to us.
Still time to get those last-minute entries in though – we’ll be accepting entries right up until the end of Registration at 1800hrs on Tuesday 26 Jan, and in the meantime you can still enter online via TopYacht.
Speaking of pandemic – there will be COVID tracing QR codes placed throughout the Regatta HQ area, so please ensure you check in each time you visit, or sign in on the paper register if you don’t have the COVID tracer app, and practice good hygiene as always. Thank you in advance for your cooperation with this – it’s a minor inconvenience that’s in all of our best interests.
BOISW 2021 – Essential Information
The what, where and when of NZ’s biggest and best-loved keelboat regatta.
Where to find us
The North Sails & Explore Marquee will be outside the Opua Cruising Club, at the bottom of Franklin Street in Opua – same spot as the last few years. Join us for food, drinks and entertainment each evening.
Food & drink
Meals and snacks served inside the Opua Cruising Club. Dine in the club or bring your plate outside to the marquee.
Drinks – both adult beverages and soft drinks – served in the North Sails & Explore Marquee, at the main bar and Mount Gay Rum Bar.
No cash bar – please purchase tickets which can be used for both drinks and food. $6 a ticket. Purchase at the Eftpos kiosk. Stock up early and avoid the queues.
Please check in with the COVID tracer app, or log in on the paper registry with each visit to Regatta HQ.
2021 Regatta Schedule
Tue 26 Jan – Registration
REGISTER at the North Sails & Explore Marquee from 4pm-6pm. Collect your Skipper’s Packs and division flag there.
SAILING INSTRUCTIONS will be available digitally this year – there will be no printed copies – as we strive to further reduce our impact on the environment. Download them here soon, or better yet, get the BOISW Mobile App and access them there. Amendments and updates will be notified via the app, so it’s essential for all skippers to stay up to date on and off the water, and remember to enable notifications!
LATE ENTRIES will be accepted right up until the end of Registration, if you haven’t already entered.
Wed 27 to Fri 29 Jan – Race Days
- WEATHER by North Sails available each morning. Get the BOISW App for updates.
- RACING starts at 10.30am (first warning signal 10.25am) and finishes around 4pm each day.
- ISLAND RACING also starts at 10.30am (first warning signal 10.25am) – please note this is earlier than previous years!
- DRINKS served in the North Sails & Explore Marquee from 4pm.
- DINNER served in the Opua Cruising Club from 4pm.
Wed 27 Jan – NZL Sailing Foundation Race Day 1
After racing concludes, join us back at Regatta HQ for drinks at the North Sails & Explore Marquee, and food inside the Opua Cruising Club.
Thu 28 Jan – Explore Race Day 2 & Otehei Bay Beach Party
It’s the one you’ve all been waiting for! The Bay of Islands Sailing Week Beach Party at Otehei Bay with live music from the Legacy Band. Ferry tickets are selling fast and some departures are already booked out. Get yours now before it’s too late.
Fri 29 Jan – North Sails Race Day 3 & Prizegiving
Prizegiving is scheduled to take place from around 7:00pm on Friday – but please bear with us as start time is dependent on processing of all results. We’ll get things rolling as quickly as we can!
In the meantime enjoy live music with the fantastic Orongo Bay Garage Band – world famous in the Bay of Islands!
Please help us run a Clean Regatta again
Last year your efforts meant we were awarded GOLD Clean Regattas status by Sailors for the Sea. We’re aiming to go one better this year, and with your help we can.
Here’s how you can help:
- Minimise on-board waste by taking reusable food containers and bottles with you.
- Refill your water bottles for FREE at our water refilling stations at Regatta HQ in Opua.
- Separate recyclables, compostables and general waste. We will have recycling stations at Regatta HQ so please make sure your bottles, cans, plastics and food waste go into the appropriate bins! Local community group Russell Recyclers will be helping us with this.
- Don’t discharge any waste into the ocean. Use the free pump out facilities at Opua fuel dock, retain all rubbish until you return to shore, and keep absorbent oil spill pads handy when refuelling.
- Download the BOISW App to access the Sailing Instructions – we’re going digital this year to further reduce waste.
You can find out more about what we’re doing to run a Clean Regatta here.
We are of course here to help, so please don’t hesitate to Contact Us if you have any other questions.